What happens to foreigners’ social insurance accounts when leaving China?

Table of Contents

For foreigners who leave China before reaching the legal retirement age in the country, the social insurance individual account will be retained and will be renewed on a cumulative basis when the person returns to work in China.

Alternately, foreigners can apply to terminate their social insurance individual account upon written application before leaving China. The amount remaining in the individual account can be paid in a lump sum to the person.

Foreigners must check out the specific implementation regulations and application processes at their local Human Resources and Social Security Bureau.

Scroll to Top