The procedure to apply for the PU letter requires the Chinese company to work in cooperation with the Foreign Affair Office. The steps are highlighted below:
- The Chinese entity (company) must liaise with the Foreign Affairs Office of the district where company is registered for the PU letter application
- The Foreign Affairs Office of the district will send a list of required documents to the company
- The company prepares the required documents and submits these to the Foreign Affairs Office of the relevant district for a first round review
- The Foreign Affairs District Office submits the application documents to the Foreign Affairs Office of the local Municipal Government (Shanghai, Guangzhou, Beijing etc.) for PU letter approval
- The Foreign Affairs Office of the Municipal Government issues the PU letter for the foreign invitation.
There are additional stipulations:
- The invitee should be an employee of the China-based company.
- Documentary proof, such as a copy of the existing China work permit, or the Notification Letter of Foreigner’s Work Permit for a new contract should be provided.