What is the procedure to apply for the PU letter in China?
The procedure to apply for the PU letter requires the Chinese company to work in cooperation with the Foreign Affair Office. The steps are highlighted below:
- The Chinese entity (company) must liaise with the Foreign Affairs Office of the district where company is registered for the PU letter application
- The Foreign Affairs Office of the district will send a list of required documents to the company
- The company prepares the required documents and submits these to the Foreign Affairs Office of the relevant district for a first round review
- The Foreign Affairs District Office submits the application documents to the Foreign Affairs Office of the local Municipal Government (Shanghai, Guangzhou, Beijing etc.) for PU letter approval
- The Foreign Affairs Office of the Municipal Government issues the PU letter for the foreign invitation.
There are additional stipulations:
- The invitee should be an employee of the China-based company.
- Documentary proof, such as a copy of the existing China work permit, or the Notification Letter of Foreigner’s Work Permit for a new contract should be provided.